Pain in the ear may be due to the following reasons, and management of the underlying cause would relieve the pain:
- Infection in the middle ear.
- Infection in the eardrum.
- Foreign body in the ear.
- Viral infection in the outer ear.
- Wax impaction.
- Dermatitis of the outer ear canal.
- Dysfunction of the Eustachian tube causing the ear to be retracted.
- Facial nerve paralysis.
- Inflammation of the skin or a boil in the outer ear.
- Pain may be referred to the ear from the throat, tongue, teeth or the temporomandibular joint that lies in front of the ear.